Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Over the pyramid

  Tuesday, June 16   Day 10   Gunnison to Salida, CO   66 miles


Paul and I are at the top, our fourth crossing of the Continental Divide. It was a good day for cycling, although it was raining for part, and was alternating between freezing and nice at this summit. We waited until it got nice to descend.

The ride today was all east on Hwy 50. Paul and I got a late start, so we rode fast, alternating the lead, until we caught up. Then, and the other time we did that back on Day 2, have been the two hardest riding occasions I've experienced on this trip (heart rate, breathing rate). We were in a wide valley as shown in this photo, but ahead in the distance we caught glimpses of the tall peaks we would be reaching later.

After our 25-mile rest stop, we headed off for the "pyramid" climb. I say that because if you see the profile for today's ride, it looks like a single sharp and tall pyramid (it was nine miles to the top, with an elevation gain of 3000 feet). Unfortunately, the rain came and the temperature dropped 10 degrees. And lots of vehicles and huge trucks were passing close to us as we rode up to the base of the big climb. When the climb began, the highway had two lanes going up, so vehicles had more room to pass us and it wasn't so dicey.
 Part way up the climb, about three miles, I got this shot back to the valley below. By then it had stopped raining so I could take photos.

Rod took this picture of me as I approached the 38-mile rest stop. I still had about five miles to go to the top.
And here I am continuing up the grade. In the distance you can see the road I would be getting to, crossing from left to right.
Down the hill there a ways is the van where I had been a few minutes earlier. Lots of climbing, huh?
One by one we made it to the top and took our pictures in front of the sign, as in the top photo of this posting. Most of the riders were wet and cold, and needed to change clothes. There's Bob on the left, and Paul in the middle, swapping for dry jerseys. It was sunny when I took this photo, but earlier it was freezing and very windy. I sat in the van to stay warm, and put on my yellow wind-breaker over my vest, and added leg warmers and full-finger gloves to prepare for the descent.
We finally were ready for our descent, and look how bundled up we were (and see the spectacular mountain scenery in the background!). It was a good thing we were, because the first 10 miles or so down were windy and cold. Of the three major descents I've done in the past few days (this one, Slumgullion Summit on Sunday, and Wolf Creek Pass on Saturday), this one was finally pleasant and fun. I was warm enough, and the road was newly paved and wide and without any sharp turns ("non-technical"). Rod was awaiting us about 10 miles down so we could shed extra clothing for the remaining 14 miles to Salida. Up one side, down the other -- all good!
Downtown Salida (sal-eye'-duh) is old and quaint. Many buildings were dated 1890s. Our hotel is right there, the Palace Hotel, built originally in 1909.  Here's the lobby:
L to R: Rod, Paul, Ella, Neil, Sue, and Jack.
And here's my room! Two bedrooms, full living room, and to the right is a full kitchen. As usual, Rod, Ella and Jack had brought our luggage to the rooms for us. Then I went hunting some lunch.

Just about 40 yards down from our hotel is the Arkansas River (remember, we crossed over to the eastern side of the Continental Divide). See those kayakers on the left?
 We got to watch the kayakers play in the rapids, because it was right next to where several of us were enjoying lunch and some fine Colorado beer.
 The photo above shows where we were eating, there on the left.

They fight the rapids but stay basically in the same place.
Here we are at dinner, where I had a fabulous duck dish. Everyone was happy for a good ride today.

Tomorrow will be straight north along the Arkansas River to Leadville, an old mining town resting at an elevation of 10,121 feet. We ride 60 miles, and it's gradual uphill the entire way (total of 4000 ft of climbing). Here is the map/profile: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7812449

By the way, it's not easy to comment on this website. Therefore, if anyone has a comment or question, please just e-mail me. I love hearing from you and clarifying things you read in my blog. kcmerc@yahoo.com


No comments:

Post a Comment