Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Sunny scenic day to Leadville

Wednesday, June 17   Day 11   Salida to Leadville, CO   63 miles

Fun to watch yourself on a sunny morning! The ride to Leadville was almost all gradual uphill - gaining 4000 feet during the 60-mile ride. As you'll see from the pictures below, it was scenic with the 14,000-foot peaks to the west, and the Arkansas River next to us all the way.

I'd do better just to post pictures, which will speak for themselves. I did stop in Buena Vista for the 25-mile rest, but other than that it was just riding and seeing what the photos will demonstrate. One note: Corey had been coughing a lot in the past two days, and when it was getting worse this morning, he went to a clinic in Buena Vista and he was diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection. He now has meds, so I hope he will be fine for tomorrow's grueling day.
As we left Salida, the mountains ahead. Craig flagged down the van to get a jacket because he thought it was cold, whereas I wore nothing extra, not even a t-shirt due to what I considered a warm morning. Craig said I was a freak of nature! hahaha. I admit it was brisk, but just thinking what Janet is enduring back home with the heat and humidity made me appreciate the brisk morning. It was not long at all before it got hot and I was glad I was not wearing anything more.
I thought it was cool to see this fellow painting a scene along the Arkansas River.
By the time I took this photo, I had reached the outskirts of Leadville.
Just read this sign, and I won't need to tell you about Leadville. Gold discovered in 1860, didn't last long, silver discovered in 1870, created a huge rush. My siblings reminded me I was here in 1964 on our driving vacation ("See the USA, in your Chevrolet") from Los Angeles to New York and Washington, D.C. (round trip all in two weeks!!).

The next many pictures were taken as I rode my bike down the middle of the main street in downtown historic Leadville, camera in hand, snapping this way and that way as I rode.

I will come back to the Silver Dollar Saloon, since that's where I had lunch and a recovery brew a bit later.
Our motel is on the far end of town, and when I got there, the van had not yet arrived. So, I rode back to the Silver Dollar Saloon. How could I pass up the Best Wild West Saloon in America?
The saloon was a museum of fun collectibles and Old West. I loved looking all around in it (see the telephone booth over on the far left?)
And the food and beer were great too.

Tonight we will eat at a steak house. Tomorrow is our "Queen Stage", the term given to a multi-day cycling race's most difficult stage (not that our tour is a race). It's not only the most difficult day of this first segment of the ride to Canada, but the most difficult of the entire tour - 98 miles and 8700 feet of climbing. Three major passes to climb (including Loveland Pass at 12,000 feet!) and descend. And then Friday is a day of rest before Segment 2 begins on Saturday. As a reminder, I will ride only the first five days of Segment 2.

Tomorrow's map and profile: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7813487


No comments:

Post a Comment