Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Wind River Canyon Beauty

Tuesday, June 23   Day 17   Lander to Dubois, WY   81 miles (1354 mi total with one day to go)


Although I could upload photos earlier today when I wrote my posting for yesterday's ride, the photos are not uploading now. Therefore, I will write a brief summary of today's ride and try posting photos either tomorrow morning, or when I return home. I will be so busy tomorrow night packing my bike and getting ready to depart at about 5:30 am on Thursday, that I will not have time tomorrow night.

Today's ride was extremely scenic. During our ride along the Wind River Canyon, it was as if we were in a mini-Grand Canyon. The geology was diverse and spectacular. You just need to see the photos. Early in the day, I took a side trip to see Sacajawea's cemetery and burial site in Fort Washakie.

We had a fabulous dinner at the Nostalgia Restaurant, with a "bull moose" waitress who was attractive and bounding endlessly in and out, to serve us 17 guests quickly. She was a side story herself, kicking the doors open and almost running constantly. You did NOT want to get in her way! Then I enjoyed some huckleberry ice cream from the old drug store to top off the meal.

Tomorrow is my final day, riding toward the majestic Grand Tetons. Some friends from the Cincinnati Cycling Club who rode across the country (east to west) took the same route we will tomorrow, and they said it was their favorite day of the entire trip because the scenery was so incredible.

The planned ride is 61 miles, but I will add a 41-mile loop at the end so that I can see more of Jackson Lake and Jenny Lake in the National Park. It will be sad to say goodbye to my cycling friends, but I am anxious to see Janet again. I have missed her terribly.

Wednesday morning note: I am able to upload, so I will just add photos for right now:  (in order through the day)


Sacajawea grave site. She is looking at a sea shell in her hand, representing when she arrived at the Pacific Ocean with Lewis and Clark in Nov, 1805.
That's me!

Thanks to Neil Cohen for this picture!

That's Ken Whiteside. Look at the vast view ahead of us.

This is the Wind River, which we followed a long ways. This is where we had lunch!
Still the Wind River, after lunch and many more miles up the road. I did not realize then that we would be following this river upstream to its headwaters, the following day.

Here come Bob and Susan, Craig and Corey, and Dennis.
I had no idea the scenery was this beautiful out here in central Wyoming. Looked like the Grand Canyon. Of course, this is still the Wind River.
Finally we reached DEW-Boys. Janet was here in 2009 for a two-week geology course, and she remembered Dubois as having only two streets! Pretty close.

Note: My bike is still not fixed, so I continued to need to use a higher gear than I wanted, which tired me out more than had I pedaled in a proper gear.

Tomorrow's route and profile: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7850067

No comments:

Post a Comment